Eating Healthy is Uncomplicated
I talk a lot about healthy eating in general on Facebook and Twitter, but often I’m asked to give specifics about exactly WHAT I personally eat…WHAT does my typical daily food life look like? I’m going to share with you my “typical” day but please remember that this is not all encompassing. There are so many fabulous foods available. Don’t be afraid to experiment. Falling into a food rut is a surefire way to derail healthy eating.
Note: I workout first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. If I do strength training that day, I have a chocolate protein shake following the workout. My favorite brand is Sun Warrior Raw Vegan Chocolate. Then I wait an hour and have my breakfast.
Breakfast: Chocolate Vegan Shakeology mixed with 1 tsp of raw almond butter and just enough water to mix it into a frosting consistency. Eat with a spoon. Divine!
Mid-morning snack: 1 Coconut Muffin Top made famous by Sandi Krakowski (I’m addicted, darn her!)
Lunch: either a big salad topped with raw nuts or my zucchini/broccoli/green bean/cashew soup
Mid-afternoon snack: piece of homemade beef jerky or raw veggies with hummus or a piece of coconut bread with 1 tsp almond butter on top
Dinner: Brown rice or quinoa, a green veggie (or a bunch of veggies) and a lean meat. A few times a week, I go meat-free.
I vary things constantly so I never get bored, but I’m not a complicated girl. Everything that I make is EASY!
Two questions I am asked all the time are 1) What do I do when I’m outside the house and hungry and 2) Am I vegan?
1) I always keep a Shakeology packet on me so if I’m out and starving, I only need to find a cup, spoon, and water for instant gratification. The chocolate frosting tastes fine without the almond butter, although I must admit, the almond butter takes it to a whole new level.
2) No I’m not vegan. I just personally stay away from gluten and dairy because it makes my body feel better. I’ve learned to listen to my body and have found that both (dairy mainly) cause me a lot of gastrointestinal issues.
So there you have it…my typical day. As you can see, I don’t eat crazy…I don’t have a shake for more than one meal…I don’t subscribe to the notion that I can’t eat carbs. I simply eat healthy. No magic. Funny thing is that when you give your body what it needs, your weight tends to evens out.
Below are 2 of the recipes that I mentioned. I’d to hear your feedback after you make them!
Coconut Muffin Tops (full credit goes to Sandi Krakwoski)
8-12 grams of protein per muffin top
Ingredients (makes 20-24 muffin tops)
- 1 1/2 cups of coconut flour
- 3/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon of aluminum free baking soda
- 18 organic eggs
- 1 cup of raw honey
- 3/4 cup fresh applesauce
- 3 tablespoons of vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Blend all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Using a whisk, or mixer on a low setting, blend in all the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Mix until well-blended. Use spatula to get batter from sides of mixer
- Fill muffin tops full, then use spatula to smooth tops for pretty muffin tops
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Serve warm with fresh organic raw butter or coconut oil!
Zucchini/Broccoli/Green Bean/Cashew Soup
This recipe isn’t exact. Play with it to find the right blend of veggies and seasonings. The only constant for me is the ¼ cup raw cashews. This recipe serves 1.
- 1 zucchini
- 1 broccoli stalk
- ½ cup fresh green beans
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- 1-2 squirts of Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- Soak cashews in small bowl of water for an hour.
- Cut up the zucchini, broccoli, and green beans. Steam all until soft.
- Add steamed veggies, cashews, liquid aminos, and salt to blender. Blend VERY well until smooth.
- Taste. Add more seasonings as needed. If soup is too thick, add ¼ cup water and blend again.
I use a Vitamix blender which blends everything into a very smooth soup.A Toast to Your Health,
She founded GOFITCOACH with her husband Keith after stepping onto the edge of financial & physical ruin. Having experienced a complete turn-around, they now desire to give hope & support to those who are dissatisfied with their current situation.
PS. If you found this post to be of any value to you, please COMMENT below!